We are revolutionizing technical hiring by giving companies a skills-based hiring platform that enables our customers to assess technical skills effectively. We are growing fast and looking to add to our Engineering team. This position is full-time and remote within India.
As a Lead Backend Engineer, you will play a pivotal part in HackerRank’s mission to “Accelerate the World’s Innovation”. You are excited to make an impact over millions of fellow developers and enjoy building products with a large scale. We’re responsible for building the world’s leading technical interview platform. We believe in “Extreme ownership” and you’ll have immense ownership both in terms of product and engineering.
Your work will have a direct impact on the lives of millions of developers as you build the platform for them to showcase their skills and get hired. You will be responsible for building systems that back the Screen product-line specifically focusing on providing the best developer experience. You’d be working on helping us scale our Screen product to handle over 100K concurrent test takers to support large country-wide remote hiring events. As part of this, you will also need to build a platform to provide world-class developer experience (Coding editor, Autocomplete, Linting, Ability to run code easily, etc) on the cloud at scale. Along with all of this, as a lead developer you will also be responsible for mentoring developers, setting the engineering standards across the org and leading some of our internal cross team tech initiatives.
You will be working on:
- As a lead engineer, you will be expected to execute and deliver large and complex projects end-to-end, with or without the involvement of other team members
- Ensuring timely delivery of all product deliverables
- Lead technical discussions within the team and be the go-to person for the team for guidance and troubleshooting
- Understand key Business and Engineering metrics around performance, quality and availability and work regularly with the team to push the boundaries and improve them periodically
- Foster and build a culture of actively engaging team members in architecture and design discussions
- Set up solid process and practices around code quality, conventions and standards
- Grooming and Prioritization of Technical Debts
- Leading and Contributing towards organization wide tech initiatives
- Mentoring Interns and Senior engineers
- Help the organization in building a top quality team by participating in hiring initiatives
We are looking for:
- Strong and self motivated individuals, should be able to independently drive decisions
- Extensive experience in building web based products
- Experience of leading a small team
- Good communication skills, should be able to articulate thoughts and ideas to engineering and non engineering audiences.
- Overall of 6+ years expertise in at least one dynamic programming language and one MVC web framework, preferably Ruby on Rails.
- Expertise in Database modelling, preferably relational DB, spotting DB bottlenecks and writing optimized DB queries.
- Expertise in all common AWS Cloud technologies, Knowledge of CI/CD tools and workflows.
- Proven track record in building highly-available and scalable distributed systems
- A keen eye to quality with regards to following and establishing good coding practices, improving code coverage,
- Good stakeholder management, ability to build trust and rapport with internal and external stakeholders
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of the technical interview process, and how roles like backend/frontend/devops engineers are vetted.
- It is good to have knowledge of Kubernetes and Docker and related deployment technologies.
- Web application security best practices and knowledge of common application security vulnerabilities XSS, SQL injection, etc
Benefits & Perks:
As if working alongside the smartest brains wasn’t enough. We have a full package of competitive benefits and perks which include:
- Insurance to all employees (term life, personal accident, medical, gratuity) along with medical insurance for their dependents
- Special Corona insurance to employees and dependents
- Employee stock options, flexible work hours, and time off
- Employee Reimbursements on health, telephone, internet, and more
HackerRank is a Y Combinator alumnus backed by tier-one Silicon Valley VCs with total funding of over $58 million. The HackerRank Developer Skills Platform is the standard for assessing developer skills for 2,800+ companies across industries and 15M+ developers around the world. Companies like LinkedIn, Stripe, and Peloton rely on HackerRank to objectively evaluate skills against millions of developers at every step of the hiring process, allowing teams to hire the best and reduce engineering time. Developers rely on HackerRank to turn their skills into great jobs. We’re data-driven givers who take full ownership of our work and love delighting our customers!